Bologna is the capital of region Emilia-Romagna and the province of Bologna. It is primarily known as a university town. The University of Bologna (Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna) was founded in 1088 and is considered to be the oldest university in Europe.
The city is also famous for its gastronomic tradition. Local cuisine is charaterized by dishes of meats and cheeses, mainly prosciutto (cuts of pork ham) and mortadella. However, spaghetti bolognese are not related to Bologna at all. Eastwards from the square Piazza Maggiore around Via Clavature is situated historic town. In this district known as the Quadrilatero you can find many period delicatessen shops offering local specialities such as prosciutto di Parma (Parma ham), aceto Balsamico di Modena (Modena balsamic vinegar) and Parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan).
Historic center is typical of buildings of red brick and numerous arcades. Their practicality are greatly appreciated especially during a walk in the rain. We started sightseeing walk from the train station - Stazione Centrale, down the Via del Indipendanza along the Parco della Montagnola towards the city center. The city's center is square Piazza Maggiore. There is a Gothic Basilica di San Petronio, next to it stands Palazzo dei Notai, in which formerly municipal notaries run their business. In the western part we find town hall - Palazzo Comunale. Since 1336 it has housed the city council. On the square we saw fountain Fontana del Nettuno, which is dominated by bronze statue of Neptune. Other attractions of the city include Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio which in 1561 had built Pope Pius IV as the building of the Academy of Arts and Law. The palace was during the years 1563-1805 seat of the university. Today it houses the Municipal Library (Biblioteca Comunale). On the first floor there is an anatomical theatre (Teatro Anatomica), all carved out of wood. Here public dissections took place under the strict supervision of the priest
We were captivated by visit of the Museo di Palazzo Poggi, which is found on the street Via Zamboni near Town Theatre (Teatro Comunale). The current appearance of the building dates back to the 16th century. In the late 15th century the house was bough by the Poggi family. In mid-16th century, Giovanni Poggi, an influential clergyman in the papal court, came up with the idea for the expansion and improvement of the palace. Most laboratories Sciences Institute (Istituto delle Scienze) were on the first floor, where nowadays is situated the museum.. During the Napoleonic era, the main seat of the University moved from Palace Archiginnasio into Palace Poggi. The museum exposition contains collections of the former Institute of Sciences - the first public institution dedicated to scientific research and observation. These includes a wide spectum of disciplines such as archeology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, anatomy, applied mathematics and mechanics.
During your visit you can see exposures as follows:
-Ulisse Aldrovandi Museum - an impressive collection of products of natural of Italian physician, naturalist, botanist and etymologist
-Anatomy and obstetrics (in several rooms there is situated exhibition of a school of obstetrics, where we can view anatomical wax models developed by Italian painter and sculptor Ercole Lelli, who dealt also with studies of the anatomy and the human body. In another room there are exposed wax anatomical models developed by Anna Morandi and her husband Giovanni Manzolini. In the last room we can view anatomical models by Clemente Susini an Italian sculptor who became famous for wax anatomical models of sections of the human body. There is exposed the figure of lying woman called "Venerina" one of the replicas of the original model Venere dei Medici, created by Clemente Susini . Agony of a young woman is represented at the last moment of her life, when she is abandoned to die completely naked. The thorax and abdomen are open and various internal organs can be seen and disassembled).
-Physics and chemistry (light and optics and electrophysics)
We were interested mainly in the anatomical wax models in the exhibition of anatomy and obstetrics. Different stages of labour and the position of the fetus in the womb are shown in detail. Intriguing is the gallery of ships in the exposure of geography and nautical science. where in display cases are exhibited and described models of various types of ships.
Throughout the palace we can admire not only the exhibits but also beautiful mural paintings and ornated ceilings, for example in the Sala di Davide, Sala di Camilla and the Sala dei Paesaggi. A great experience was also a magnificent library, which dates from 1724.
The museum is open:
during the summer months (from June 15th to August 15th from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 to 13.00 (Closed on Mondays)
in the winter months from Tuesday to Friday 10.00 to 16.00, Saturday and Sunday from 10.30 to 17.30. (Closed on Mondays)
Adults EUR 5,
Reduced admission (students, disabled and senior visitors over 65 years of age EUR 3
Schoolchildren EUR 1